Attention! If you have a Mac running Catalina, there’s no way at the moment to program miniMOs from it (unless you virtualize an older OS). I’ll be looking into this shortly. – nov27, 2019
miniMO is an 8-bit synthesizer Modular synth built around the ATtiny85 processor, a relative of the popular Arduino. All miniMOs are identical; you load them with different programs according to the system you want to make. If you have three modules, you can program them to be three oscillators, or two oscillators and a filter, or a sequencer, an oscillator and an envelope generator, or any other configuration that suits your fancy.
miniMO takes power either from a single CR2032 cell battery or from an external source up to 5V; you can switch sources via a handy long jumper that doubles as an ON/OFF switch if you’re only using one. By default the processor runs at 8MHz, which is the recommended speed for battery powered operation, but it can be changed in software to run at 16MHz.
You can program a miniMO with an ISP programmer, or very easily using an Arduino. Your purchase includes a header that makes plugging miniMO to an Arduino a breeze, and once the miniMO is connected, you can use and reprogram it on the fly. To make the most of miniMO, we recommend having an Arduino UNO or similar, but we sell all the modules with the processor already programmed so that you can start having fun right away!
The modules make the most of the ATtiny, including a potentiometer and push button as inputs, a LED for visual output, and four configurable ports:
- Ports 1 and 2 are identical outputs with PWM
- Port 3 is an analog input which (always) modulates the potentiometer
- Port 4 is usually an analog input, but can also work as a digital output
miniMO comes either as an easy-to-solder kit or assembled and ready to go.
- ATtiny85 processor with 8K flash, 512 bytes of SRAM and 512 bytes of EEPROM
- Runs at 8MHz (configurable)
- Powered with cell battery or an external source, from 3 up to 5V
- Four configurable external I/O ports
- Programmable via ISP, compatible with Arduino IDE
- Size: 38x40x30.5 mm (assembled)
- RoHS PCB and components/Lead-free solder (when ordered assembled)
- Mounting holes for legs or covers (or a keychain!)
- Open Source and Open Hardware
- Free 5-pin angled header to connect the miniMO to an Arduino (limited to one per order)
- FREE SHIPPING! 🙂
- To claim free shipping, just select “Free shipping” from the options available at checkout
By default, all miniMOs with processor come programmed as a DCO. If you would like to receive your miniMOs loaded with different programs, please write your preferences down in the “order notes” during the checkout process.