Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

miniMO with current Arduino IDE?

Hello, such an amazing project, thank you!

I see that miniMO still requires Arduino IDE 1.5.7. Any chance that it will work with the current version?

Related discussion: https://minimosynth.com/forum/discussion/3

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Oliver!
    If you mean if I'll update it to make it work with current versions, I don't think so. 1.5.7 (plus the attiny core) is stable and works fine; it is also very easy to find and download and you can make it portable, so it lives in its own folder and won't conflict with newer versions.
    Any way I think about it, I don't see advantages in keeping up to date with the IDE, but I'm open to discussion :)

• Hi Jose!
    Yes, that's what I meant. I am on macos and I haven't yet figured out how to install multiple versions of the Arduino IDE alongside each other. So in order to use miniMO I had to dig out an old computer and install 1.5.7 there. This might be a hurdle to a few people?
    I am wondering why some (most) miniMO programs don't compile under current versions of the IDE? What is causing these errors

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Mac OS X), Board: "ATtiny25/45/85, ATtiny85, Internal 8 MHz"

wiring.c.o (symbol from plugin): In function `__vector_5':
    (.text+0x0): multiple definition of `__vector_5'
    sketch/miniMO_DCO.ino.cpp.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    exit status 1
    Error compiling for board ATtiny25/45/85.

• edited March 2019

The errors happen because a function is defined twice (IDE and ATtiny core), causing a conflict.
    There's a new core that works with recent IDEs, https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore, but when I gave it a glance a couple months ago it looked like I'd have to rewrite the programs to work with it, so I left it there. Then again, I hadn't realized macos is not happy with portable IDEs :( . It looks like there are workarounds, though -have you read this thread?

• @jose said:
    Any way I think about it, I don't see advantages in keeping up to date with the IDE, but I'm open to discussion :)

The situation is getting more tricky now, as MacOS 10.15 does not support 32 Bit binaries anymore. Only the compiler in latest version of the Arduino IDE is going to work...

• @PhilippvK said:
    Only the compiler in latest version of the Arduino IDE is going to work...

I've been browsing around and it looks like you need to download the mac beta of the IDE if you use 10.15. Is that correct?

• Hi Jose,

I plan on purchasing a miniMO synth module through Tindie. I am not sure what the consensus is regarding the latest Arduino IDE on Mac & the programs. Will I be able to run the programs successfully?

Thanks,

• edited November 2019

Hi Jose,

Will I be able to run the programs successfully?

Hi!
    If you have Catalina I'm not even sure if you can use the latest IDE successfully at the moment :(

Update: Just tested 1.8.1 with Catalina and everything works fine.

To properly answer your question, the answer is no; you need IDE version 1.5.7, and it won't run with Catalina. Since 1.8.1 works, this is a major reason for me to update the programs, so I'll be looking into that in the near future.

• I know this is an old thread but has anyone made any progress on being able to build the miniMO code in recent versions of the Arduino IDE? When I tried I got an error about __vector_5 being multiply defined. Reading on the web it seems that has to do with timer 0.

• Off the top of my head -commenting vector5-related code in the core might do the trick (for the sake of getting the programs to compile)