Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

miniMO with current Arduino IDE?

Hello, such an amazing project, thank you!

I see that miniMO still requires Arduino IDE 1.5.7. Any chance that it will work with the current version?

Related discussion: https://minimosynth.com/forum/discussion/3

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Oliver!
    If you mean if I'll update it to make it work with current versions, I don't think so. 1.5.7 (plus the attiny core) is stable and works fine; it is also very easy to find and download and you can make it portable, so it lives in its own folder and won't conflict with newer versions.
    Any way I think about it, I don't see advantages in keeping up to date with the IDE, but I'm open to discussion :)

• Hi Jose!
    Yes, that's what I meant. I am on macos and I haven't yet figured out how to install multiple versions of the Arduino IDE alongside each other. So in order to use miniMO I had to dig out an old computer and install 1.5.7 there. This might be a hurdle to a few people?
    I am wondering why some (most) miniMO programs don't compile under current versions of the IDE? What is causing these errors

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Mac OS X), Board: "ATtiny25/45/85, ATtiny85, Internal 8 MHz"

wiring.c.o (symbol from plugin): In function `__vector_5':
    (.text+0x0): multiple definition of `__vector_5'
    sketch/miniMO_DCO.ino.cpp.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    exit status 1
    Error compiling for board ATtiny25/45/85.

• edited March 20

The errors happen because a function is defined twice (IDE and ATtiny core), causing a conflict.
    There's a new core that works with recent IDEs, https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore, but when I gave it a glance a couple months ago it looked like I'd have to rewrite the programs to work with it, so I left it there. Then again, I hadn't realized macos is not happy with portable IDEs :( . It looks like there are workarounds, though -have you read this thread?