Mk2 Assembly Gallery

When I built the Mk2 version last December, I took pictures to document the process. This model is now obsolete, but I think the pictures are still interesting, not only because they show how I built it, but also because they make clear some of the reasons why I decided to change the design. Enjoy!

MiniMO_08_12_2015_01   Battery holder (apologies in advance for the hazy look of the first few pictures)

MiniMO_08_12_2015_02

MiniMO_08_12_2015_03Battery holder lid, bottom view

MiniMO_08_12_2015_04Battery compartment ready

MiniMO_08_12_2015_05Breadboard section (fits on top of the battery compartment)

MiniMO_08_12_2015_06Breadboard in place

MiniMO_08_12_2015_07That’s the Pololu Regulator in the lower right corner

MiniMO_08_12_2015_09

MiniMO_09_12_2015_10Potentiometer + On-off switch, and momentary switch

MiniMO_09_12_2015_11Same, from above. I grouped all the connections so they could be all plugged and unplugged in one point, not individually on the board

MiniMO_09_12_2015_12These cables would connect the group above to the board

MiniMO_10_12_2015_13All the cables connecting the board to the top. After soldering each group, I add a drop of epoxy at the joint with the pins’ plastic bit; this makes it very resilient to general abuse

MiniMO_10_12_2015_14All the various groups plugged to the board

MiniMO_10_12_2015_15

MiniMO_10_12_2015_16Bottom view of the lid with all the parts installed

MiniMO_10_12_2015_18Lid in place!

MiniMO_10_12_2015_21Side views

MiniMO_10_12_2015_20All the relevant connections are grouped and within easy reach, so assembly and disassembly is easy

MiniMO_10_12_2015_22

MiniMO_10_12_2015_23

MiniMO_10_12_2015_24Top and first half of the cover

MiniMO_10_12_2015_27Fully assembled and operational!

I think it is quite obvious that building the unit is labor intensive. Printing the parts is easy: I used a fine nozzle to print the breadboard (0.25), and the wood-like filament needs a bit of TLC, but there are no supports and it prints mostly on autopilot. The intensive part is preparing the many wires; not that it is difficult, but it takes time. In all, I think with practice I could bring building time to about a day, which is not unreasonable but not ideal either, if I expect to build a system with many modules and would want others to build it, too.

PS. Now that you know how Mk2 was made, you might want to take a look at the Mk3 WIP

 

Posted in Blog, Development and tagged , , , .

One Comment

  1. Pingback: Breadboard Mk3 WIP – miniMo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *